IPCO Design Dept
Design means creation,the art of making dreams come true.
The design department of Iran Khodro Powertrain Company (IPCO) with a background of 20 years of experience in design and development of various products, has played a vital role in the automotive industry of Iran.
Design of Engine and Powertrain
Due to the fast growing technology in automotive industry and high customer demand for increasing power and efficiency and reducing fuel consumption, the need to upgrade products or develop new products is strongly felt. IPCO has a brilliant backgrounds in design and development of various products from the design stage to mass production. This process is started by market study to evaluate customer demands and then translating requirements into engineering specifications and continuing with the generation of new ideas to achieve a product which meets customer and market requirements. In this context, the knowledge of product development and simultaneous engineering by integrating different engineering disciplines, such as design, CAE, manufacturing, production, calibration, testing, and validation play a vital role.
To reduce the time of product development and increase the product quality and reliability, simultaneous engineering knowledge will help greatly. This is only possible by contributing the manufacturers and suppliers, production lines, assembly lines and after-sales service from the early stage of the development process and also by proper management of the communication between all parties involved. Moreover, IPCO uses the knowledge of defining proper boundary conditions and correlating them to different requirements of the customer such as:
- Design for manufacturing
- Design for assembly
- Design for packaging
- Design for cost
- Design for reparability
- Design for reliability
- Design for prototyping
- Design for …
IPCO is capable to design a variety of gasoline and diesel engines, as well as engines with combined and alternative fuels. One of the most promising capabilities of IPCO is the design of bi-fuel engines using compressed natural gas (CNG), which is an important advantage due to the natural resources of Iran and low price of this fuel. Also due to the importance of compatibility between the engine and the gearbox and transmission system, IPCO has also been active in this field.
Design of Hybrid Powertrain
Following to the global approach to reduce CO2 emissions by vehicle electrification, IPCO as Iran’s leading company in developing powertrain system, has stepped also in these fields. Hence, with the collaboration of powerful international companies, IPCO has successfully tested its first hybrid vehicles. In these vehicles, IPCO has gained the experience of integration, calibration, industrialization and testing electrical components and developing a lithium battery assembly.
Based on IPCO’s expertise in design for manufacturing and prototyping, as well as a good background in collaboration with powerful Iranian and foreign manufacturers, IPCO has the ability to provide engineering consultation services to manufacturers in the following areas:
- Consultation for new parts development
- Consultation for correct reverse engineering
- Consultation for parts localization
- Consultation to select capable technical partners
- Consultation to transfer knowhow and technology
- Consultation to improve product quality
- Consultation for root cause analysis in product during development and after-sales service
- Consultation to prototype parts in the development process
Also, with a rich database of manufacturers’ capabilities, the ability to evaluate and select the right suppliers is another important strength of IPCO.
Other Design Dept. Services
Based on the good knowledge and experiences of IPCO in product design and development, the design dept. is prepared to provide services in the following fields:
- Consultancy in the field of product design and development strategy
- FMEA (Failure modes and effects analysis)
- Consultancy in the field of CAD strategy
- Consultancy in the field of product data management (PDM) and product life cycle management (PLM)
- Design and analysis of tolerance (GD&T and Tolerance Stack-up)
- Leading the product development team or failure analysis
- Reverse engineering and redesign in order to adapt for existing production capabilities
- Training in the field of all expertises
- Design of bolted joints including number of bolts, size, material, tightening method and all calculations required for bolt and thread. Also the ability to evaluate the performance of the connection in real working condition using ultrasonic technology as well as failure analysis of connections
Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)
The life cycle of a product depends on marketing and management strategies within businesses. It has five stages: development, introduction, growth, maturity, and decline. Different products differ in how long they remain at any of the life cycle stages. Every stage has its costs, opportunities, and risks.
Product Lifecycle Management(PLM) contributes as an influential tool in a business success. It can help the products of a firm to survive in the highly competitive market atmosphere. IPCO, with a background in New Product Development for more than 20 years, is ready to give consultancy services in the fields of New Product Development and Product Lifecycle Management with different commercial software.